Wednesday, December 21, 2011

New Bosc Hat Knitting Pattern



I love a set of knitted items that are pretty enough to stand alone, but also have companion pieces. With that in mind, I designed the Bosc Hat as a coordinate to my most recent pattern release, the Bosc Scarf, mentioned in this post.


The entire set was inspired by multiple muses - the graceful curves and rich color of ripe pears, 


as well as an interest in designing pieces that capture the intricate beauty of Japanese-style stitch patterns in an easy, approachable way. 

The Bosc pattern’s lush texture is provided by easy stitches in a quick-knit worsted-weight yarn. Basic cable and lace patterns transition smoothly from a simple ribbed edging 
 


to the crown of the hat.
 

I ripped and re-knit the crown a dozen or more times, until I was satisfied with the amount of slouch combined with the shaping of the design. Shaping is built into the pattern, so blocking the hat flat produces a nicely-slouched beanie and blocking it over a plate, as those shown here, produces a soft, face-framing hat with even more slouch.


The pattern offers more options to knitters with both charted and written instructions, as well as a choice of two sizes.


This pattern has been extensively tested and I want to thank my lovely test knitters: Becky, Simone, Josefina, Laurie, Lisa, Jodie, Alyson, Jessica and Tina. You ladies are superb!

In other news, it's been an extremely hectic, but also exciting, month. Our basement flooded late one rainy evening, requiring a midnight scramble to replace a broken sump pump and mop up an inch of water, followed by a week of cleaning and ripping out sodden, ruined carpet. That alone set my work and blog posting back substantially.

But I did finally manage to get my last two patterns of the year posted (hurray!), was invited to do two designer interviews within one week (I'm working up the nerve), received this beautiful cardigan made just for me by my wonderful, super sweet Ravelry friend Loren (Twisted1 on Ravelry - thank you so much Loren, I love it!!)


and was awarded the Versatile Blogger award (thank you very much to Anna and Johanna!!).


I've had a a frenzy of large Christmas events to host and attend, and multiple major tasks to complete. Whew! And the month is not over yet!

I am now able to relax a teensy bit and enjoy the coming Christmas and New Year holidays. Although still hard at work finishing up a couple of patterns for publications next year, hopefully things will settle down soon and I will return to more regular knitting and other updates and fun stuff, including a new prize giveaway! Uff da.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful hat Robin. I agree, it is nice to have a set :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omigosh, Tru - I need to get a dressform! You did a great job on the photography. I'd rather have seen it on you, but that's ok ;)

    Congrats on your blogger award! And your hat pattern is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete