Thursday, June 6, 2013

Inspired by... Spring Flora



Spring flowers are so beautiful it's hard to choose the best one - iris, peonies, violets, 



forget-me-nots, cranesbill geraniums, hyacinths, pansies, lily of the valley 


 and so many others vie for the honor. In addition to those favorites, the humble lilac has always had a special place in my heart, and even more so after a trip to the Ukraine during their peak bloom time. 


My friend Cheryl and I slipped into a magical, gated garden and were immersed in their heavenly fragrance. 



To this day I am transported back to that secret garden when I catch lilac scent in the air.



For these and more flower photos, check out my flora pinterest board. 

Although I don't often work with variegated yarn, after this spring's magnificent flower showing, I was drawn to some ancient Malabrigo Silky Merino in my stash (the photo at the top of the post shows what I've been experimenting with). The yarn's subtle lilac, iris and green shades (dubbed "Indiecita") as well as the lovely sheen and drape lent to the wool by a hefty dose of silk, just breathed spring.

On another note, I've read that some stitchers are hesitant to gift their handiwork to someone who enjoys making fiber art for themselves. I'm not sure why this is, maybe the stitcher is afraid their gift will not measure up in the recipient's eyes? Or perhaps they think the recipient already has plenty of things of their own making to wear. But who better to appreciate the time, love and expense that goes into each stitch than someone who knits or crochets? 

I am always deeply touched when a friend makes something for me, and although I don't always get a chance to share those gifts here, I wanted to show off the gorgeous fingerless mitts my incredibly thoughtful Ravelry pal Loren crocheted and sent me as a surprise. She does such beautiful work, and she knows I love purple. What a pal.
  

This weekend is filled to the brim with planned activities, including attending the CPE Nationals dog agility trials where Cheryl will be competing with her Border Collie. Of course our dog will accompany us for a little inspiration, haha.

Thanks for stopping by, I wish everyone a fun and safe weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment