Friday, March 27, 2015

Yarn Emergency



A yarn emergency... Is there really such a thing? I've heard the term used before but was skeptical, until it happened to me.

For the last few days I've enjoyed a visit to beautiful San Antonio, Texas for a family celebration, but I didn't set off on the right foot when I left my newly started shawl project, 6 sets of interchangeable needles, a row counter and a needle gauge in a tote bag on a Southwest Airlines aircraft at my stopover city. By the time I realized it, it was almost time to board the next flight to SAT and the boarding agents could not help me.

With nothing to work on, no reading material and no in-flight connectivity, it was a very boring 2 hours and I was more than ready to race to the nearest yarn shop when I arrived which, thankfully, turned out to be only minutes from the airport. After waiting to de-plane, collecting luggage and renting our car, we had only 20 minutes to get to the shop, choose yarn and needles before they closed!

Fortunately, the nearest shop turned out to be a darling little place, newly opened within the last couple of months. In fact, Unraveled yarn shop is so new they don't even have a permanent sign yet...


but the brightly painted Easter scene on the front windows was a welcoming sight.


The shop is well-stocked with lovely yarn like the Manos del Uruguay lace yarn shown in the photo at the top of the post.



and the notions and other items were neatly organized.


The shop owner was extremely helpful and did not rush us in any way, even though it had probably been a long day for her and she must have been wishing to get home soon.

In the end, I found some pretty yarn as well as the right needles to re-start my shawl project. I also found a cute new yarn shop to share here, so I decided that the 'emergency' was really a blessing in disguise.

Thanks for stopping by today, happy knitting!



2 comments:

  1. Note to self: If in San Antonio, visit Unraveled. ;) So glad you were able to find an emergency room. ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is such a thing and I too, have experienced it! Especially in stressful times I "need" to get my yarn fix on. Thankfully I have yet to experience a situation like you have described above. Sounds like Unraveled was your yarn oasis in the desert!

    ReplyDelete