Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Scarf Styling Tutorial - Part I, The Plait



Last year I suddenly realized that although I had a lot of shawls and cowls, I was in need of a few scarves and set off to knit some. One of those projects ended up being the recently-released Bosc Scarf pattern (a prototype of which is shown in this post).

I've been a huge fan of scarves and shawls for many years, often preferring them to other accessories like jewelry. It always amazes me how a scarf thrown on casually with a simple tee and jeans can elicit as many, or more, compliments than an outfit that was carefully chosen for a special occasion. 

So it was fun when the editor of a popular knitting magazine, in which a pattern of mine will soon be released, contacted some designers from the issue to ask for feedback on why we like to knit certain accessories and how we style our knits. This got me to thinking about different ways I like to do that and today I've prepared a quick tutorial for one popular method I call the 'plait'.  

I suggest you try this technique by tying your scarf or stole around a post, for practice, before trying to reverse it on yourself in a mirror.

Step 1: Fold scarf in half and drape it around the neck.


Step 2: Pull one free end of the scarf through the looped end.


Step 3: Pull the remaining free end over the top half of the scarf, then down into the looped end and under the bottom half.


Step 4: Pull snug to secure


And there you have it! This method also works by using the free ends in reverse order, so experiment with the look you like. The photo at the top of this post features the same method worn at a slightly different angle. 

I plan to share more scarf and shawl styling ideas in future posts, and I'd love to see your photos if you want to send me pics of yourself in your specially-tied scarves and shawls! 

Still in scarf-knitting mode, I've just finished a very simple design, featuring an easy-peasy, traditional and familiar stitch pattern, with lovely, soft fringes. The version shown here was knit in Malabrigo Merino Worsted. It's squishy and cozy and I can't wait to get to work on another.


And don't forget to enter my Valentine's Day free knitting pattern, yarn and bag giveaway; find details here.

Happy knitting everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Robin, thanks for sharing. I think many people have this question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robin for this. I was just doing this with my scarf!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete