Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Short Rows and Wraps Video Tutorial Link

I love garter stitch, but that's ALL I have been doing lately as I finalize some projects.  I'll be glad to get back to some different things soon, including a new lace pattern to post here eventually.  Today I want to share a great way to pick up short row wraps, as I've been doing in these garter stitch projects.  




I know sometimes the wraps are left in place when working every row in knit stitches, because they usually hide nicely in the fabric.  However, there might be times when you want to neaten things up or when you're using more than one yarn color.   And sometimes the public side looks nice, but the back side looks messy.  

The photo above shows the back side of a swatch worked in multiple colors in garter stitch where the wrapped stitches lay neatly along the mitered corner, important if your project will be seen on both sides.

There are several techniques for picking up the wraps in both knit and purl stitch, but the one I used here, and I think my favorite method for many types of knitting projects, is to pick the wrap up, pull it over the left needle tip, and place it over and behind the next stitch on the needle, then knit them together.  This is demonstrated by Cat Bordhi in these helpful You Tube videos. 


Happy knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment