Thursday, December 9, 2010

Let it Snow!


We don't normally get much snow in this part of the state until January or February, but this year we've already had a sugary dusting, just enough to be pretty. The snow seems to have caused a hush to settle over the woods I love to visit whenever I can.
In the quiet of the early morning it was not surprising to come across a small doe foraging among the leaves and snow for her breakfast.

 
We stood and stared at each other for a few minutes and then she bounded off into the safety of the forest.


I love to collect old buttons cut from clothes purchased at thrift stores, or found on the sewing materials tables at church rummage sales.  Some I use on sewing or knitting projects, others are made into jewelry.  

These vintage Jadeite-green glass rounds, trimmed with a hint of gilt edging, are pretty on their original card. 

The brown, carved squares below were labeled Bakelite (although I've not tested them).  Regardless of their material, I love their simple graphic quality.  They look like chocolate, mmmm.....

 

Each of these antique, molded black glass, shank rounds has a poinsettia picked out in red and gold paint, making them perfect for a special Christmas project.


Although I'm not planning to knit anything new at the moment - I have plenty of projects going to keep me busy for weeks - I've enjoyed following the Christmas Calendar patterns from Drops Design/ Garnstudio this month for a daily dose of festive knitting (and crochet!) fun (Drops photo).  


This sock design reminds me of what my Swedish grandmother used to call "Tomte."  It makes me miss her, especially at Christmas.  

It's never a bad idea to let loved ones know you care about them, you might not get another chance!

Peace, blessings and happy knitting to you.

2 comments:

  1. What awesome buttons! I especially love the green glass ones.

    We've just had a few flurries of snow here... nothing has stuck yet. But I know that when January comes there will be plenty of snow to go around, so not complaining too much! I love the doe pictures in the snow, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful buttons! I actually felt like I needed to stop wandering with Wilbur in the woods near our house because of the large deer population. It's hard to believe we're in the middle of town and literally have deer running down our street or wandering up the driveway and looking in the kitchen window!

    ReplyDelete