Sunday, December 5, 2010

'Tis the Season to be... Knitting

Last week went by in the blink of Santa's eye as the Christmas season gears up and my time has been filled with family, friends, food, knitting, shopping, wrapping, writing, cleaning and working.


I did, however, get a chance to sort my stash and pull out some yarn for gift and other knitting projects, including the assortment shown above, of Shetland yarns for color work.  I need to find a few more colors to add to the mix and that might just make a nice project.

Although I have made a few small sale yarn purchases recently, I've been doing great with using mostly stash yarns.  I am de-stashing a lot of great yarn on Ravelry also in an effort to contribute more this holiday season to efforts to feed and shelter the homeless.

This past weekend I worked on a couple of secret gift projects, and made a little progress on my top-down cardigan knit in Berroco's Blackstone Tweed yarn.  It's nearly finished, leaving only the sleeve and pocket edges to knit. 

 
I've knit a few more inches on the scarf I started at Thanksgiving and I'm lining up my next year's pattern projects as well.

Right now I'm contemplating making up some fingerless mitts, and as I searched my stash for tweed yarns for another project, I pulled out this beautiful Debbie Bliss Luxury Tweed Aran I might like to use for such a project. 


I love this deep charcoal heather, wool/ angora yarn with tweed nepps in moss, wine and camel. 

If you're an extremely organized person (or perhaps not doing any gift knitting), you might have time to deck your halls with knitted ornaments.  Many of these would also make pretty gifts.

Check out these patterns (with the exception of the Snowflake Ornament, project photos not my own):

Julie Weisenberger's lovely pearl bedecked Knitted Wreath is simplicity defined. 



Nannette Blanchard's blog Knitting in Color features these Super Stars.


 
 
On Friday, my mom, sister, niece and I met for some gift shopping.  My niece is moving thousands of miles away later this month so it was great to spend some time with her.  


After coffee, we browsed boutiques in the village of Powell, a small community north of the city of Columbus.

We enjoyed looking at the festive decorations at The Collection including several theme trees like this one - hanging upside down.


This purple and silver tree had appeal with blown glass birds, stars and ball ornaments. 

 
We certainly found a lot to love at Found at 21, a stunning shop.

 

 
These wrapped scarves are very minimalist cool.


The 1/4" thick wool felt mats and snowflakes were gorgeous.


And an antique trunk full of cozy throws made us want to dive right in.


We didn't buy much at the pricey shops, but had a great time just spending time together and being inspired by what we saw.

Wishing you many happy holiday preparations and lots of hours of happy knitting!


No comments:

Post a Comment