Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Linen & Tweed WIP Update

It's been a long time since I've worked in costume or garment design, but I came across some beautiful linen fabrics and it set me to thinking of doing a bit of sewing.  


A stash dive unearthed charcoal gray Rowan Summer Tweed yarn and it looked rather nice with the fabrics so I've undertaken a complete ensemble design project - oy.  At the moment I am thinking skirt, tunic, and vest, but perhaps I will opt for billowy trousers rather than a skirt.  We'll see.  The knitted item will be for on top.
 
Summer Tweed cotton/ silk blend is rather dry to the touch, with a chalky feeling, and it sheds little bits of silk all over you when you knit with it.  It also has no give and can be tiring to work with.  

 
All those things considered, however, the tweed yarn has a rich, rough texture that I quite like paired with the smooth-but-earthy linen wovens, and a nice color with subtle black, gray, beige and tan variation from the nepps.

The gauge for this yarn is on the heavy side of worsted, but the silk should add some drape and I am planning a super simple, very open stitch to enhance this.  The blocked swatch looks quite nice.

It might be awhile before the finished outfit makes it debut, but I hope to complete it before the weather turns too cold to wear it, LOL.  

Knitting continues on my Beach Glass lace shawl from Diana's new pattern, and I've arrived at the bottom edging, but I had to put that project on hold this week until I finish some pressing items, then I should have FO photos soon after.  


This will be the last post before my one year blogiversary free knitting pattern and yarn giveaway contest ends. 


I'll use an online random number generator to choose the winner on the 22nd, and announce the winner's name in my next post!  Read all the contest details here.

Peace, blessing and happy knitting to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment