Monday, March 19, 2012

Photography Fun



My husband gifted me with a new Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 35 mm 1:1.8 G camera lens for Christmas and I'm shooting tons of photos lately, trying to get the hang of it. 

I'm seriously technically challenged, so my learning curve is looong and requires much trial and error, thus yesterday I took dozens of different kinds of shots for the green inspiration post and then played around with post-shoot editing to enhance light, contrast and clarity. Of course the lens isn't perfect for all the kinds of photos I shot, but I wanted to see the differences, so did a little of everything.

This shot is of the very first pair of pointe shoes I wore as a young, aspiring dancer (they look so small to me now!).


I prefer the simplicity of basic photos and generally don't like to use a lot effects, but just for fun, I did some edits in a user-friendly version of Photoshop, then used Picnik.com to add special effects to the original photo to show you what anyone can do with this free website (I am sorry to say however, that Picnik is going away soon, so play with  your photos there while you can). 

The various results are displayed below and at the top of the post. Here is some text added to a sepia filter.


And text added to an Orton filter, like the one shown at the top of this post.


This cool film-style box is called Cinemascope.


The Gritty filter is interesting, sort of old-school newspaper effect.


It's true I started out with a so-so photo, but I had fun shooting, editing and learning a little about technique. Isn't that part of what creativity is all about?

You don't need a fancy camera, a simple point-and-shoot digital got me by for years. Just get out there and start clicking!

Have a super week and happy knitting and photographing!

No comments:

Post a Comment