Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Winter 2013 Knitty & Another Pattern Special!



Have you seen the latest Winter edition of Knitty? As usual it's packed full of interesting and creative projects to knit. This issue has many great designs, but I have to say I'm most intrigued with three of them, including the Wraptor Sock, Lempster pullover and Plaid Collar. 

Jeny Staiman, perhaps best known as the creator of Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off (which I've used in my next pattern about to be released), has combined the ideas of knitting socks on the bias with self-striping yarn to create a simple design that looks great. 


The designer readily admits it is not the most stretchy of socks, but that once on, it fits well. I love the idea of turning the traditional striped sock on it's head, or at least on a slant, so to speak. 



Norah Gaughan has some fantastic designs featuring central motifs and Lempster (also featured in the first photo at the top of the post) is no exception.



The pullover is worked from the top down making the fit more adjustable as you knit - love that.

The pattern that most intrigued me is one of the simplest, Franklin Habit's Plaid Collar. Franklin, a cartoonist, is also known for his updates of vintage designs, and this time around he's taken a little-known vintage stitch and featured it in a cowl.  



Although the plaid design looks complex, it's really a very simple technique based on garter stitch. What a fun way to combine colors and leftover yarns from other projects! 

These projects will have to wait until after the new year to find a place on my needles. I'm currently knitting a few gifts including fingerless mitts and another accessory that I'll be able to show soon. How about you? Are there any holiday gifts on your hooks and needles? 

Pattern Sale!
In case you are trying to choose a knitting project for a sister, friend, mom or other special person, I'm offering a 50% savings on my Katriel shawlette pattern from now through Saturday, December 14th. 
  


This little shawlette is a quick, stash-busting knit using two colors of fingering weight yarn. Or, go for a semi-solid or hand-dyed central triangle with an accent color eyelet row. It's a pretty simple canvas for your creativity. There is no coupon necessary, the 50% savings will be applied at check-out. 

Thanks for stopping by today, I hope you have a wonderful week and I wish you much happy stitching! 



photos: knitty.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment